This post is completely about Sharavathi Dental College & Hospital, Shimoga, Karnataka. I did my undergraduate BDS at this college. Most of my friends and relatives asked me about my college, so I thought of writing an article that would be helpful for everyone. This college made my transition from a student to a dentist which is today.
Like everyone after the 12th, I wrote entrance NEET-UG. Becoming a doctor was one of my dreams. So the first time when I appeared for NEET I didn’t get good college so I thought of writing one time.
I prepared well that one year and I appeared for NEET. Like me, most of us I dreamed to get a medical seat, unfortunately when my rank comes medical seats got filled and my next option was to take dental.
In the beginning, I was feeling sad but later I was ok with what I got. But today I feel so happy that am into dentistry and I loved my subjects.
So let’s talk about the college.
Sharavathi Dental College & Hospital is situated in Shimoga, Karnataka. Shimoga is a beautiful place famous for jog falls and its greenery. This city is popularly known as the “Gateway to Malnad”. Shimoga district is covered with the lush green paddy field, areca nut and coconut groves.
Shimoga has located 267km from Bangalore and 195 km from Mangalore. As am from Kerala, I used to travel through the Mangalore route.
The distance from Shimoga bus stand to Sharavathi Dental College & Hospital is around 4.9km. Also, the distance from Shimoga railway station to Sharavathi Dental College & Hospital is around 6.9km.
College is situated near Shimoga Institute of Medical Science [SIMS] so for General Medicine and General Surgery clinical hours we are referred to SIMS. As it is a government medical college we are exposed to many cases and our university practical exams for General Medicine and General surgery are done from there.
From Shimoga Institute of Medical Science, most of the cases are referred to our college as they don’t have a wide dental wing.
The college was established in the year 1992 under Sharavathi Education Trust which was founded by Ex-Chief Minister of Karnataka, Late Bangarappa.
Table of Contents
- ABOUT THE COLLEGE
- ABOUT THE TRUST – SHARAVATHI EDUCATIONAL TRUST
- About the Founder – Late. Sri.S.Bangarappa
- ADMISSION PROCEDURE
- Sharavathi Dental College Fee Structure
- BDS Course Basics
- WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA?
- Documents Required for Admission
- Departments in Sharavathi Dental College
- Department of oral medicine and radiology
- Department of oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Department of Prosthodontic, Crown and Bridge
- Department of conservative dentistry and Endodontics.
- Department of Pedodontics and Pediatric Dentistry
- Department of Orthodontic and Dentofacial Orthopedics.
- Department of Periodontology and Implantology
- Department of Public Health Dentistry
- Department of Oral Pathology and microbiology
- Facilities in Sharavathi Dental College
- CONTACT & LOCATION
- Frequently Asked Question about SDC Shimoga
Sharavathi dental college and hospital is affiliated with Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science, Bangalore. And also recognized by the Dental Council of India, New Delhi.
- Ministry of Health and Family welfare.
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science Bangalore, Karnataka.
Who are the Governing Council?
- Chairman of Sharavathi Education Trust: S. Madhubangarappa.
- Secretary of Sharavathi Education Trust: G. Siddalingaiah.
- Trustee of Sharavathi Education Trust: Beemanna T Naik, J.Chandrshekarappa.
- Principal of Sharavathi Dental College and Hospital: Dr.Samrat M R.
- Vice Principal of Sharavathi Dental College and Hospital Sharavathi Dental College and Hospital: Shrinidhi M S.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Sharavathi Dental College & Hospital has the best infrastructures, fully equipped departments, faculty, academic programs and admission procedures.
Sharavathi Dental College & Hospital was started in the year 1992. The college is affiliated with the dental council of India and provides training for both undergraduate and postgraduate Degree courses in various dental specialities.
There are around 100 seats for BDS and 14 seats for MDS. They provide community services and dental health care services.
The college is situated in the city so it provides easy access to everyone. College provides transport services with different shifts to pick up patients from the city to our college.
The college has a mobile dental clinic which helps to treat patients in rural areas.
College provides well-experienced faculty and successful teacher in respective of all fields.
We have many extracurricular activities apart from academics such as cricket, football, table tennis, volleyball etc and achieved many prizes in various fields at national and international levels.
ABOUT THE TRUST – SHARAVATHI EDUCATIONAL TRUST
Sharavathi Dental College and Hospital is under Sharavathi Educational Trust introduced in the year 1992 and it is approved by the Dental Council of India.
- Chairman & Managing trustee: Shri S. Madhu Bangarappa.
- Trust members: Shri Bhimanna T. Naik, Shri J.Chandrashekarappa.
- Administrator: Shri H.G. Siddalingaiah.
About the Founder – Late. Sri.S.Bangarappa
Sri S Bangarappaji was popularly known as “SOLILLADA SARADARA” meaning a leader who knows no defeat. He is the founder of the Sharavathi education trust. He was born on the year 26th of October 1932. He served as an MLA for many years and also as a member of parliament for Shimoga between 1996-2009. He was the 12th chief minister of Karnataka in the year 1990-1992.
Now let’s talk about the admission procedures. The admission is not through a direct admission procedure. The candidate must attend the counselling conducted by KEA or Karnataka Examination Authority.
The counselling process mainly has 4 steps:
- Online registration.
- Document Registration.
- Online Counseling – 2 Rounds.
- Mop-Up Round Counseling – Offline.
Sharavathi Dental College Fee Structure
I will give you the official fee structure of Sharavathi Dental College which is decided by the Karnataka Examination Authority.
|Tuition Fees||Hostel and Food|
|First Year||Rs.2.75 Lakhs||Rs.66,000/year|
|Second Year||Rs.2.75 Lakhs||Rs.66,000/year|
|Third Year||Rs.2.75 Lakhs||Rs.66,000/year|
|Final Year||Rs.2.75 Lakhs||Rs.66,000/year|
Apart from the tuition fees and hostel fees, you have to pay extra for University examinations and Material fees. This varies each year and depends on the number of subjects.
BDS Course Basics
Subjects covered in the first year:
- General Human Anatomy & Histology including Embryology.
- General Human Physiology & Biochemistry.
- Dental Anatomy and Dental Histology.
Subjects covered in the second year:
- Dental Materials.
- General & Dental Pharmacology.
- Pathology and Microbiology.
- Preclinical Operative Dentistry.
- Preclinical Prosthodontics.
Subjects covered in the third year:
- General Medicine.
- General Surgery.
- Oral Pathology.
Subjects covered in the final year
- Oral Medicine & Radiology.
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics.
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry.
- Public Health Dentistry.
- Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics.
- Prosthodontics including Crown and Bridge.
- Periodontology and Periodontics.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
One Year Compulsory Rotatory Internship: This is completely for learning the practicals of treating patients.
WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA?
- Candidate must have passed individually in physics, chemistry, biology and English and must have obtained a minimum of 50% marks aggregate in physics, chemistry and biology.
- In the case of a scheduled caste or scheduled tribe and category minimum marks prescribed will be not less than 40% of the total.
- All the candidates including NRI should have qualified for NEET which is 50% for general merit and 40% for reservation category.
- The candidates should have completed the age of 17 years at the time of admission or should be completing this age on 31st December of the year in which he/she seeks admission.
- Students who have studied other than the pre-university board of Karnataka have to produce an Eligibility Certificate issued by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science, Karnataka at the time of BDS admission.
- All the NRI and management category students shall be admitted through common counselling conducted by CET.
Criteria for NRI students:
Candidates should have a valid Foreign Passport. NRI means: A Student who has studied abroad in a recognized institution for a period of 12 years or a candidate who has studied for a minimum of 5 years abroad and passed the qualifying examinations in India in a recognized institution or qualifying examination from abroad. Further, they shall appear for common counselling held by CET.
Documents Required for Admission
I have below listed the documents that are necessary:
- 10th Marks Card.
- 12th Marks Card.
- 10th passing certificate.
- 12th passing certificate.
- Date of Birth certificate.
- 10 Latest passport-size photographs.
- 10 stamp-size photographs.
- A Conduct Certificate from the Head of Institution was last attended.
- Transfer Certificate (TC).
- Migration Certificate for the students of another state.
- Aadhar card.
- SC/ST certificate if applicable.
- Physical fitness medical certificate.
- Income certificate in case asked for.
- Medical Certificate from a certified practitioner.
Departments in Sharavathi Dental College
Department of oral medicine and radiology
Oral medicine and radiology is a branch of dentistry that deals with diseases of oral and surrounding structures, an oral manifestation of systemic diseases, and oral and dental treatments of medically compromised patients.
Oral radiology deals with imaging, interpreting and diagnosing the diseases which affect the dentomaxillary region, head and neck region.
They have well-equipped intra-oral and extra-oral radiology departments.
Facilities available are intraoral radiography, Radiovidsiography, Digital OPG including lateral cephalogram, and maxillofacial radiography.
Department of oral and maxillofacial surgery
The Department of oral and maxillofacial surgery deals with the identification or diagnosis and treatment of diseases which affects the oral cavity, face, mouth, jaw, head and neck.
Oral and maxillofacial surgeons do treatments such as extraction of the wisdom teeth, orthodontic extraction, grossly decayed teeth, mobile teeth etc. precancerous condition such as leukoplakia, oral sub mucous fibrosis, and fibroma.
Treatment for the fractured jaw. Placement of reconstruction plates. Alveoloplasty, surgical excision. Detection and management of oral cancer.
Placement of graft and reconstruction of missing part of the jaw. Treatment for cysts and tumours.
Surgical debridement of the cyst and tumour. Diagnosis and treatment for Temporomandibular joint or TMJ and also for ankylosis.
As undergraduates, we are advised to do extraction of teeth, alveoloplasty and assessing cases.
Department of Prosthodontic, Crown and Bridge
The college has a well-equipped Prosthodontics department having spacious around 13,330sq ft for 40 UG and 3 PG students.
They have separate laboratories for preclinical, dental material and undergraduate clinical batch.
PG also they have separate laboratories. They have well-efficient lectures and skilled lab technicians.
This department also deals with treatment for Implant and maxillofacial prostheses.
Maxillofacial prosthesis deals with the replacement of eyes, fingers and ears.
Department of conservative dentistry and Endodontics.
The Department of conservative dentistry and Endodontics deals with the prevention and treatment of disease and injuries of the hard tissue and the pulp of the tooth and associated periapical lesion.
At the undergraduate level, we learned to do cavity preparation, removal of dental caries, and restoration of the tooth with amalgam, GIC, and composite. Also Root canal treatment during our internship period.
Department of Pedodontics and Pediatric Dentistry
Department of Pedodontics and Pediatric dentistry deals with oral and dental health treatments for neonates, children and teenagers as well as children who require special care.
They participate in various community programs such as pre-kindergarten educational programs for low-income children.
They have separate sections for both PG and UG. They have a separate department library.
Department of Orthodontic and Dentofacial Orthopedics.
Department of Orthodontic and Dentofacial orthopaedic deals with the diagnosis, prevention and correction of malpositioned teeth.
Students are posted in this department in their third year. We have classes twice a week. The department has 28 dental chairs, equipped lab, a reading area, and a library.
Students are trained in all kinds of removable and fixed appliances. Growth modification procedures, surgical orthodontics, fixed mechanotherapy, lingual orthodontics, and invisible orthodontics are some of the treatment facilities.
Department is spacious around 5418 sq .feet consisting of an undergraduate clinic, postgraduate, seminar room, laboratory, professor cabin, associate professor cabin, lecture room, and PG rooms.
Journals are written by the students and cover all the chapters of the subject.
Department of Periodontology and Implantology
Department of Periodontology and Implantology deals with supporting the structure of the teeth, as well as diseases and conditions affecting them.
Students are trained to diagnose and treatment of periodontal diseases. They provide facilities such as scaling and root planing, flap surgery, minimal surgical and non-surgical procedures, regenerative surgery, host modulation therapy, root coverage procedure, implant placement, and ridge augmentation procedures.
Department of Public Health Dentistry
Department of Public Health Dentistry deals with the health of the population in non-clinical areas.
Dental camps are conducted regularly. Dental clinics in the satellite centre provide free dental check-ups, screenings and treatment on weekdays.
There are well-efficient faculty involved in the teaching of undergraduate students. Exams are conducted in the final year. Clinical features such as a mobile dental van, 3 satellite centres, adopted schools and adopted orphanages.
Department of Oral Pathology and microbiology
The Department of oral pathology and microbiology deals with the identification of diseases affecting the oral and maxillofacial areas.
Routine and diagnostic haematological tests are done here. Obtaining smears, staling and reporting of the smear for diagnosis of various oral and maxillofacial lesions.
Facilities in Sharavathi Dental College
Hospital is established in the year 1992 to provide dental health services. It is a fully-fledged clinical centre, well-equipped laboratory and X-ray facility. The hospital provides free oral health camps in rural areas. All speciality dental treatments are available.
The library is stocked with books. A Digital library is also there. There are a variety of books and national and internal journals. The library can accommodate around 150 students. There are separate rooms for group discussion.
The hostel facility is available for separate boys and girls.
Boy’s hostel can accommodate around 100 students. There are separate volleyball courts, badminton courts, table tennis tables, and food ball courts.
Girl’s hostel can accommodate more than 400 students. First-year students are having separate wings in the hostel.
CONTACT & LOCATION
- Address: T.H Road, Alkola, Shimoga – Karnataka – 577204.
- Phone: +91-8951242255.
I have given you in-depth detail about the college providing all their academic details plus the infrastructure and the facilities offered on campus to you.
This will help you in deciding better for yourself by comparing and choosing the best according to your needs.
I have personally collected all the data and information about the college by visiting the college myself and researching online about it.
Even if any doubt exists then feel free to contact us for the same on the given contact number or post your query in the below-attached thread. I will try to answer all your queries and revert back asap.
Frequently Asked Question about SDC Shimoga
Can I get admission without qualifying NEET-UG?
No to take admission to Sharavathi Dental College you must qualify NEET entrance exam.
Can I take admission to BDS or MDS without attending the KEA counselling?
No, it is mandatory to register and attend the centralized counseling conducted by KEA or Karnataka Examination Authority.
Which is the nearest airport to Sharavathi Dental College?
The nearest airport is Bangalore or Mangalore International Airoport. Within 2-3 years a airport will be started in Shimoga.
1 Year internship is compulsory in BDS?
Yes, 1 year internship is compulsory to get the BDS degree.
Can I get a fee deduction if I had scored good in my 12th class?
Yes, depending on your score, we can provide you private scholarships for students.
You can also go through posts about other colleges, I had written about: